Motion is Lotion: Thoracic and Neck Pain in Office Workers
Thoracic (the top half your back) and neck pain are one of the most common conditions we treat here in the clinic. It is particularly present in people who spend a large part of their day behind a desk or driving. It often comes on when people are particularly busy at work, and hence working longer hours with fewer breaks. Stress can also be a large factor. There are a few simple ways to reduce thoracic and neck pain.
- Ensuring your desk is properly set up for you.
- Taking regular breaks throughout your day.
- Regular stretching of your neck and back.
- Some form of daily exercise.
- Stand up desks can be very helpful.
- Hands-on treatment from a qualified therapist can be a very good way to provide immediate pain relief.
- In the longer term, research shows us that the incidence of neck pain in office workers can be reduced by over 50% through a strength-based exercise program.